National Reading Group Day, which we run in partnership with the Booksellers Association, is coming up soon on 15 June. Marking the beginning of Independent Bookshop Week, it's a celebration of reading groups throughout the country and the positive effects these groups have on their members.
We want reading groups across the UK to share your 'Changemaker Reads' for a special National Reading Group Day booklist. What books - fiction or non-fiction - have encouraged you to take action and stand up for what you believe in? Let us know here.
Why join a reading group?
If you're not already in a reading group, you might be thinking "Why should I join one?" There are so many reasons why being part of a reading group is good for you:
- Participation in shared reading groups is linked to enhanced relaxation, calmness, concentration, quality of life, confidence and self-esteem
- You're likely to enjoy a book more if you're talking to other people about it, as you can share your thoughts about it
- You can get book recommendations from the other people in your group, and you might find yourself liking something you never thought you would
- 72% of reading group members say that they have read more since joining their group
- It's a great way to socialise - some groups only discuss the book, but many also catch up on what's going on in their lives outside the group. Joining a reading group is a great way to meet new people and make new friends, especially if you've moved somewhere new
You can find a group near you using the interactive map on Reading Groups for Everyone.
If you find you don't have the time to join a group, you can still take advantage of our Reading Groups for Everyone booklists for reading inspiration. You can rate and review every book in our database and download free book extracts in our Resources section.
- Tell us why you love your group - send a photo to email@example.com and we might feature you on our website
- Post a group photo on social media, tagging @readingagency
- Share what book your group is currently reading, and which other books you've read together