Read the full evaluation report for Reading Well Books on Prescription 2015-2016.
Reading the full evaluation report for Reading Well Books on Prescription 2014-15.
Read the full evaluation report for Reading Well Books on Prescription 2013-14.
You can see some of the key findings from the 2015-16 report below:
- Reading Well Books on Prescription has achieved a significant national and international profile for public libraries' health work.
- It is a universal public library health offer in England available in nearly all (97%) of English library authorities.
- The scheme has reached approximately 635,000 people since its launch in 2013.
- The scheme has been an important source of help and support for people with common mental health conditions.
- 96% of service users of the common mental health conditions scheme and 92% of the users of the dementia scheme found the book they read helpful or very helpful.
- 90% of service users of the common mental health conditions scheme and 86% of the users of the dementia scheme agreed that the book had helped them to understand more about their condition.
- Most people surveyed (65%) had self-referred to the scheme, often via the user leaflet.
- Prescribers consider the programme as very useful for helping them broaden the range of resources they can offer presenting patients (86%).
- There is strong prescriber endorsement for the role of public libraries as providers of free accredited health information. Prescribers reported using the programme most for increasing patient access to information and advice (74%).
- 82% of respondents for the CMHC scheme and 83% for the dementia scheme agreed or strongly agreed that the scheme helped libraries form new partnership
We will continue to collect feedback on the scheme from people who have used it.
We've developed an online user feedback form. This is signposted in the user leaflet and you may want to link to it from your local library website. Information from this form will be analysed by The Reading Agency.
Read a selection of case studies with Reading Well Books on Prescription service users, health professionals and library staff.
Please get in touch if you know of service users who would be willing to provide Reading Well Books on Prescription case studies, or if you're a member of library staff and have a best practice case study to share.