We're working with the Society of Chief Librarians, with funding from Arts Council England, to look at the services and activities that public libraries provide for people with dementia and their carers. This includes the development of a Public Library Dementia Offer as part of the Universal Health Offer and the launch of a Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia scheme.
This page contains information about these new developments.
Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia list
We've worked with dementia healthcare experts, people with dementia and carer groups to select a list of 25 titles that provide support and advice for people with dementia and their carers. Health professionals will be able to use the list to prescribe books to their patients and the titles will be available for anyone to borrow free-of-charge from their public library.
We'll release the book list to libraries from Monday 22 September as part of the ordering process. Please note, however, that this will be for ordering purposes only, and should not be promoted publicly until the launch in January.
Download the book selection protocol for more information about the selection process.
The following materials supporting the scheme are available to order from our shop:
- User leaflets
- Prescriber leaflets
- A4 / A3 portrait posters
- A4 / A3 landscape posters
- Leaflet stands
Overprinting is available on selected materials.
We have also developed a commissioning guide, which suggests ways in which commissioners can help to promote and support local delivery of the scheme.
Some authorities have asked for guidance on the number of the leaflets to order. The following may help:
- In the total adult population, 40% know someone with dementia and 1.2% are dementia carers
- The SCL recommended target reach is 20% of those who know someone with dementia and 100% of dementia carers
- Therefore for every 10,000 adult population, 4,000 will know someone with dementia and the SCL target will be 800 people - 8 packs x £5.75 = £46 per 10,000 population
You may like to consult this spreadsheet, which includes figures for GP practices in each authority and may help you decide how many leaflets you'll need.
Public Library Dementia Offer
The Universal Dementia Offer will be launched in January 2015. Its purpose is to provide a strategic framework for public libraries' work for people with dementia and their carers. It can also be used as an advocacy tool for libraries to use with partners.
We're currently consulting on the framework for this offer and would welcome your feedback.
Consultation and evidence mapping
The dementia list and Public Library Dementia Offer build on extensive consultation and evidence mapping. In May 2014, we completed two major pieces of research:
- English public library dementia survey - mapping existing and developing services, and support for people with dementia and their carers; reviewing library dementia booklists and collections
- Dementia stakeholder consultation - mapping the evidence base, policy framework, target audience, issues and challenges for a national dementia list; gathering recommended dementia titles.
We've also gathered a number of best-practice case studies showing the dementia-focused services that libraries currently provide:
(Right: Image courtesy of Mandy Moore.)
The Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia list and Public Library Dementia Offer have been developed with our stakeholders - Alzheimer's Society, The British Psychological Society, Innovations in Dementia and the Royal College of Psychiatrists - as well as people with dementia and their carers. We have also consulted with library authorities that are involved in dementia projects.
Monday 22 September
- Ordering for supporting materials opens on our shop
- Local press template for World Mental Health Day circulated to libraries, including impact data from Reading Well Books on Prescription for common mental health conditions, plus announcement of the dementia scheme
Friday 10 October
- National press release announcing evaluation data and forthcoming Public Library Dementia Offer and Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia scheme, supported by local press coverage
Wednesday 15 October
- Closing date for ordering materials
Friday 28 November
- Closing date for ordering books from library suppliers in order to arrive in time for the national launch
Wednesday 31 December
- All materials delivered to library authorities
w/c 26 January 2015
- National launch of Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia
w/c 2 February 2015
- Local launches of the scheme
Please get in touch if you have any questions about the Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia scheme, would like to comment on the draft Dementia Offer or would like to be added to our monthly Reading Well newsletter.
Find out more about Reading Well Books on Prescription.