After collecting feedback from the sectors involved in delivering Reading Ahead - colleges, workplaces, prisons and public libraries - we launched a new design, new materials and a new website and digital delivery model in January 2021.
You can now take part with a digital pack, a printed pack or a combination of the two! The different packs are outlined below.
The printed pack
We know digital isn't right for everyone. We are committed to providing a reading challenge for less confident adult readers that can be completed off-line to reach those in prison, those with low digital skills and those with limited or no access to a digital version.
The Reading Ahead print materials include:
* Brand new artwork designed by illustrator Leyla Reynolds
* An A4 foldout reading diary with a new layout and more space to write
* An A5 invitation flyer explaining what Reading Ahead is, who it's for and how to take part, that can be distributed to classrooms or directly to wings and cells in a prison setting, slipped inside books being borrowed from the library and displayed on reception desks
* A3 posters
* New bookmarks
* A4 certificates signed by our Reading Ahead author ambassadors
Every organisation taking part - whether digitally or in print - will have basic access to the Reading Ahead website.
This will include:
* Access to a new and improved version of the reading database, Find A Read, which is uniquely searchable by reading level and contains books hand-selected by The Reading Agency staff for less confident readers.
* Access to the Reading Ahead resources database: a hub of downloadable Reading Ahead resources e.g. social media and promotional assets, learning resources, author content, booklists and toolkits.
The digital pack
For those purchasing the digital pack you will have access to the website as outline above. In addition, your account will include a 'Progress Tracker' that will record and track the progress of your participants. This will include how many reads each participant has logged and their reviews.
The digital pack also provides access to the website for your participants. You will be provided with an organisation code that participants can use to set up their account. This will automatically connect them to your Progress Tracker.
Each participant account will include:
* A profile for each participant where they can log their reads and see their progress.
* Access to the Find A Read database to search for reads
* A Reading Ahead community! All ratings and reviews will be recorded on Find A Read so participants can read other people's reviews and share their thoughts to help their peers select a read (please note: reviews are all anonymised)
* Digital badges: bronze for completing six reads, silver for 18 reads, gold for 24 reads etc.
* Additional content including book recommendations, activities and information on Quick Reads and the Reading Ahead author ambassadors.
Digital and print combined
Feel free to mix and match digital and print. You can offer both options to participants or top up your digital pack with printed promotional materials.
We encourage you to award certificates to completers and where possible hold award ceremonies (virtual if required). We have printed certificates available to order with your digital pack to make this possible.
Reading Ahead branded incentives are available including pens, tote bags and water bottles. You can order Quick Reads from The Reading Agency bookshop. Quick Reads provide great Reading Ahead reading content and the perfect incentive. Receiving a book - specifically designed for less confident readers written by some of the UK's most popular authors - for making it half -way or completing the challenge can be the inspiration needed to keep moving forward!
Thanks to generous support from Give A Book, those running Reading Ahead in prisons will be able to apply for free dictionaries to award completers. Applications will open next year and you will be notified through the Reading Ahead newsletter.
Visit our incentives page.
Despite costs rising we have committed to a price freeze on our Reading Ahead printed materials. Up until June 2022 we will keep our printed materials at the 2019-20 prices.
We are also offering a specially discounted introductory price on the new digital packs until June 2022.
We understand that everyone has been facing uncertainty this past year. We hope this commitment will support your organisation to explore the new digital offer and continue to encourage less confident readers to read for pleasure and benefit from the confidence, skills and opportunities this brings. As ever, thank-you for your support.
To purchase your materials for Reading ahead 2021-2 visit The Reading Agency Shop.
- If you have any comments, concerns or questions don't hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reading Ahead 2021-2 will run until June 2022 and you can deliver the challenge at any time. Please be prepared to complete this evaluation form at the end of the challenge and distribute the participant evaluation form to all of your participants.