The shortlist for the Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction has been announced:
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo (Portobello Books)
- Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis (The Bodley Head)
- The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane (Hamish Hamilton)
- The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker (Allen Lane)
- The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston (HarperPress)
- Strindberg A Life by Sue Prideaux (Yale University Press)
For the first time, the Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction is working with The Reading Agency to get six library-linked reading groups from across the UK to read and review the shortlisted books. The reviews will be posted on Reading Groups for Everyone and on the Samuel Johnson Prize website.
To find out how you and your reading group can get involved in reading a shortlisted title, visit Reading Groups for Everyone. The deadline for applications is 4pm on Wednesday 17 October.