We believe that reading can tackle life's big challenges, from social mobility to mental health - and we're determined that no one is left behind as we strive towards realising our vision.
- Statistics from 2014 show that one in five children in England cannot read well by the age of 11.
- Low levels of literacy cost the UK an estimated £81 billion a year in lost earnings and increased welfare spending, impacting on 'the success of the economy as a whole'.
- Children with reading difficulties are at greater risk of developing mental health problems later in life, including depression, anxiety, behavioural problems, anger and aggression.
* All stats can be found on our Reading facts page here.
With your help we can change this. You can donate to us via the following options:
Online via Enthuse
- Telephone us on 0207 324 2544 with your credit / debit card details.
- Send cheques, postal orders or charity vouchers made payable to 'read- The Reading Agency' to The Reading Agency, Free Word, 60 Farringdon Road, London, EC1R 3GA.
Fundraise for us
Organising a fundraising event doesn't have to be difficult. Keep it simple and remember that people are more likely to join in if taking part is easy. We've put together some ideas here, but feel free to think up your own, and don't forget to let us know what you're doing!
Book and Bake
Hold a 'Book and Bake' sale at work or in a local community centre. Ask your colleagues or friends to each bake a cake, and bring along a few books they no longer want. Offer a 'book and a cake' deal for those who want something to read along with their coffee and walnut!
Hold a book quiz evening in your local pub or another venue. Charge everyone £2-5 to enter. Contact us for a question sheet!
Walk to Work
Why not walk to work for two weeks and donate what you would have spent on petrol or transport fares to The Reading Agency?
Non-uniform day in school
Run a non-uniform day in your school, and donate £1 to The Reading Agency.
Head to your library
If you're part of a reading group, why not borrow one month's books from the library, and each donate what you would have spent on the books to The Reading Agency? We believe that reading can tackle life's big challenges, from social mobility to mental health - and we're determined that no one is left behind as we strive towards realising our vision.