Involving volunteers with reading groups
A one day course for librarians with responsibility for reader development and reading groups
Thursday 16 October 2008, The Bookseller's Association, London (10.30am to 4pm)
This course aims to:
• develop understanding of volunteer motivation, recruitment and management in relation to reading groups
• demonstrate relevant models of volunteering
• explore the potential for involving volunteers and communities in reading groups
• identify potential audiences and partners for this work
• look at ways of evaluating the impact of reading groups
Priscilla Bailey was the regional co-ordinator for the East Midlands Regional Group pilot, which has been developing this work in a partnership between us and the nine regional library authorities of the East Midlands region and the East Midlands MLA. She has overseen three regional volunteering pilots exploring new ways of using volunteers, sometimes known as community champions, to support library reading groups. Priscilla also works for Derbyshire Library Service as Reader/Audience Development Officer
Libraries are beginning to use community reading champions in new and exciting ways particularly in relation to reading groups. Library reading groups are increasing in popularity and libraries are seeking ways to reach new audiences through the reading activities they run. In addition, local authorities are looking for ways to get local people involved with running services in their communities.
This course looks at how volunteers can attract new and different kinds of readers and increase capacity.The emphasis will be on actively involving community ambassadors (volunteers) and the added value they can bring to library reading groups.There will be practical case studies and information on the resources available to support this work.
H2. At the end of the course
By the end of the course participants will:
• have developed their understanding of the role of community ambassadors (volunteers) in reading groups
• know more about ways managing and delivering reading groups with community ambassadors
* know more about the resources available to support this work
• shared ideas for developing volunteer projects, including how to reach new audiences, working with partners, and recruiting, training and supporting reading group volunteers
• have an understanding of evaluation methods that can support this work.